The Future of the Human Body: Podcast Playlist
This podcast playlist on “The Future of the Human Body” was curated by Arielle Nissenblatt, Founder of Earbuds Podcast Collective.
As an avid podcast listener, I’ve tried many genres. I find that I listen to many podcasts that help me stay in tune with the world; news podcasts, human interest stories, topical interviews, and pop-culture. But I find that the podcasts that really blow my mind and cause me to shift my long-held beliefs are science and human body related. My hope is that, as you listen to this list, you try as hard as you can to take a position that is opposite from the one you might take naturally. Ever have one of those moments where you’re rocked to your core and forced to think about things way outside of your comfort zone? This listening list will help you get there. Enjoy!
Podcast Playlist on The Future of the Human Body
*Note: You can always get the latest PBC playlist on the RadioPublic app
Flash Forward: A Womb Away from Home
(22 minutes, May 2017) In this episode, host Rose Eveleth explores a future in which human beings can choose to have children relying completely on the usage of artificial wombs. This episode was produced as a result of the May 2017 news that lambs were successfully born in bio-bags, or artificial wombs. The episode tackles tough questions such as maternity/paternity rights, overpopulation concerns, and how the abortion debate fits in with all of this.
WSJ’s The Future of Everything: Meet One of the World’s First Human Cyborgs
(20 minutes, May 2017) In this episode, we meet Emily Borghard, whose seizure activity has greatly decreased with the help of a chip implanted in her brain. This chip reads her potential seizure activity and then lets Emily know if she should take more of her life-saving medicine. Doctors predict that in the future, we’ll see more and more people benefiting from treatments like this one. Some people argue that even today, our bodies and brains are helped by technological advancements (think coffee and smartphone usage) and that innovations like Emily’s are not too far off for many other people.
Note to Self: Do You Really Want to Live Forever?
(23 minutes, November 2016) In this episode, producer Jen Poyant sits down with 2016 presidential candidate Zoltan Istvan. Heard of him? Probably not. Istvan ran on the Transhumanism platform, which ultimately hopes to have the human race evolve beyond its current mental and physical limitations. Basically, he believes humans can and should live forever. This interview will definitely make you think.
PBC Podcast: Discussion with Arielle Nissenblatt about “The Future of the Human Body” podcast listening list:
(Apple Podcasts | Google Play | 38 minutes, August 2017) The PBC podcast brings part of the PBC conversation directly to your earbuds. This month, Adela (founder of Podcast Brunch Club) sits down with Arielle Nissenblatt (PBC-LA chapter member and founder of Earbuds Podcast Collective), to discuss the podcast playlist she curated for us, “The Future of the Human Body.”
Conversation Starters about The Future of the Human Body Playlist:
- What was your initial, gut reaction to the future scenario in Flash Forward?
- Did your perspective change as the science behind this was explained?
- What challenges could you see arising from this type of procedure?
- Would future-you consider having a child through an artificial womb? What would you name your child?
- Do you believe that we’re already somewhat living with help from computers?
- Would you elect to have the brain surgery that Emily underwent?
- Should there be a line drawn for these types of procedures? Or should anyone who wants an implant (for anything) be allowed to do so?
- Should these procedures be reserved for people facing health-threatening issues? How can we determine need?
- If these procedures could treat social disorders, should they be used for this purpose?
- Will we view people with implanted chips in their brains as different types of humans?
- Had you heard of Zoltan Istvan before this podcast? What was your initial reaction of him?
- Be honest, did you google him? What were you expecting and what did you find?
- What do you think of his platform?
- Does his platform have a place in politics?
- What do you think about Jen Poyant’s push back to Istvan based on her recent losses?
- If you could live forever, would you choose to age or choose your favorite age and stay there? Which age would you choose?
- If you could live forever, would you explore other planets, like Istvan posits, or stay on Earth and explore this world?
DJ RuggedAngel’s Music Playlist
Take a music break and enjoy DJ RuggedAngel’s “The Human” playlist! She curated this list specially for PBC!