Love & Dating: A Community-Curated Podcast Listening List
A year ago, Podcast Brunch Club members worldwide met to discuss the Looking for Love podcast playlist. Well, it’s February again and while we’re not covering the topic of love for our regularly monthly theme, I thought it would be fun to do a community-curated podcast list on the theme of love and dating. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the PBC Facebook Group.
- Dinner for One – A podcast about redefining one’s identity in a new city, culture and language. Hosted by Sutanya, an American woman who “got married [to a Frenchman], moved to Paris, got divorced, and decided to stay.” On every episode, she shares details about her personal journey while cooking and sharing a recipe.
- (Episode pick: Tout Sole Meunière)
- This is Love – Phoebe Judge, the host of Criminal, does an about-face on this podcast as she explores a very different topic: love. The episodes are not always about people or traditional love–the podcast takes a beautifully broad view of the topic. (Episode pick: Episode 2. Something Large and Wild)
- Committed – host Jo Piazza delves into the hilarious, heartbreaking and inspiring stories of couples of all kinds who’ve soldiered through unimaginable circumstances, and after the longest of days, still want to wake up next to one another in the morning. (Episode pick: Forget It)
- Why Won’t You Date Me? with Nicole Byer Comedian, Nicole Byer, is perpetually single and attempts to figure out why. (Episode pick: Episode 11: Featuring the Man Who’s Floor I Peed On w/ EJ Wolborsky)
- Modern Love – a collaboration between WBUR and the New York Times that features top actors performing true stories of love, loss, and redemption. (Episode pick: Rallying to Keep the Game Alive)
- The Heart – an audio art project about intimacy and humanity. The Heart was named a Peabody Award Finalist in 2017.
- Hello Life WTF – Perry and Lindsay Johnson look at parenting, relationships, marriage, death, health, and all the WTF that comes with it.
- Jules & James – narrative fiction podcast that tells the story of two young strangers that meet accidentally through a misdialed phone number. These two young artists connect and decide to continue a conversation that started by chance. During weekly calls, Jules and James talk about their lives, their dreams for the future, the world around them and everything else that the comfort of speaking to a stranger allows you to reveal.
- Alone: A Love Story – a memoir that tackles, with raw honesty, personal subjects often labelled as shameful and taboo by our society, delving into the deepest, darkest aspects of divorce and a new life as a single mother with candor and humor.
- Where Should We Begin – Renowned relationship therapist, Esther Perel, opens the doors to her couples counseling sessions for an intimate look at relationships.
- The Shadows – a beautiful piece of audio fiction that tells the story of the anatomy of a relationship.
- Married to Doctors – explores the things that come up when you are in a relationship where medicine often feels like the extra partner. Topics include loneliness, debt, communication, romance, moving, parenting and more. (Episode Pick: #69: Intimacy In A Medical Marriage)